The <area> tag is only valid within the <map></map> tags. The area tag defines coordinates within a grapchic image to include a popup definition and even link to something. This tag does not use a closing tag.
- shape="shape" alt="alternate-text" href="URL" coords="xx,yy,xx,yy..." target="target-window-name" NOHREF>
- The SHAPE modifier determines the possible shapes of the area you are defining. The options are: RECT, CIRCLE, POLY or DEFAULT.
- The alternate text is for those browsers without graphics (or the iconically challenged).
- The HREF modifier is the URL or web page address of the destination you chose for this link.
- The coordinates depend on the information defined by the SHAPE modifier. A RECTANGLE starts in one corner, defines the X and Y coordinates, then moves to the next corner and the next until only the last corner is left, which becomes an assumption. A CIRCLE coordinates are the center X, Y then the radius. A POLY is a polygon and works much like the RECTANGLE but can have as many sides as you wish. The DEFAULT just includes everything else.
- The NOHREF modifier does not include a link. Just the popup text.
- Defines the window the link result will appear in. Options are _blank (a new blank window), _self (current link window), _parent (previous window), _top (full body of current window) or top (into a new blank window).